How to cook Nunzie’s in a Stovetop Pot
Cooking beans in a pot on the stove requires more of your attention than other methods, but you don’t need any special equipment. Just remember to add water as needed. Different climates and altitudes result in different evaporation rates.
What You Need
- 1 pound of dry red kidney beans
- 1 packet of Nunzie’s New Orleans Style Red Beans and Rice Seasoning Blend
- 2 ½ teaspoons of salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil or other cooking oil
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar
- 4 cups cooked rice
Cooking the Beans
- Inspect the beans, removing any bad beans, rocks, or other foreign material.
- Rinse the beans, and soak overnight in 8 cups of water.
- Drain all the water off the beans.
- Put the drained beans in a 6-quart pot with 8 cups of fresh water.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 30–45 minutes, stirring frequently, until the beans are tender.
- Reduce to a simmer and stir in the salt, oil, and the contents of the Nunzie’s seasoning packet.
- Cook for about 2 more hours, stirring occasionally, and adding water as needed.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice or vinegar.
Makes about 8 cups
Remove the bay leaf, and serve 1 cup of cooked beans over ½ cup cooked rice.
Cooking the Rice
Not sure how much rice to make? Try our rice calculator.
Sign Up for Emails
Subscribe to receive infrequent updates about Nunzie’s and occasional discount codes for buying Nunzie’s online.