How to cook Nunzie’s in a Slow Cooker
If you like your beans creamy, a slow cooker is the best way to cook them. Also, the extended cooking time caramelizes the onions, and you get a sort of smoky flavor without adding liquid smoke.
The more you stir during cooking, the creamier they turn out. If you’re out all day, it’s okay to leave the stirring until the last hour.
What You Need
- 1 pound of dry red kidney beans
- 1 packet of Nunzie’s New Orleans Style Red Beans and Rice Seasoning Blend
- 2 ½ teaspoons of salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil or other cooking oil
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar
- 4 cups cooked rice
Cooking the Beans
- Inspect the beans, removing any bad beans, rocks, or other foreign material.
- Rinse the beans, and soak overnight in 8 cups of water.
- Drain all the water off the beans.
- Put the drained beans in a 4-quart slow cooker with 6 cups of fresh water.
- Stir in the salt, oil, and the contents of the Nunzie’s seasoning packet.
- Cook covered on “high” for 8–10 hours, stirring occasionally if possible.
- Turn off heat and stir in the lemon juice or vinegar.
Makes about 8 cups
Remove the bay leaf, and serve 1 cup of cooked beans over ½ cup cooked rice.
Cooking the Rice
Not sure how much rice to make? Try our rice calculator.
Sign Up for Emails
Subscribe to receive infrequent updates about Nunzie’s and occasional discount codes for buying Nunzie’s online.