How to cook Nunzie’s in a Pressure Cooker
This is the quickest, easiest way to cook your beans. They come out a little soupier than with other methods, but if you simmer and stir them for 15 minutes or so after they’re done, they’ll thicken up a bit.
These instructions are based on a certain popular electric pressure cooker. Pressure cookers differ, so you may need to experiment a little.
What You Need
- 1 pound of dry red kidney beans
- 1 packet of Nunzie’s New Orleans Style Red Beans and Rice Seasoning Blend
- 2 ½ teaspoons of salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil or other cooking oil
- 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar
- 4 cups cooked rice
Cooking the Beans
- Inspect the beans, removing any bad beans, rocks, or other foreign material.
- Rinse the beans.
- Put the beans in your pressure cooker with 7 cups of water.
- Stir in the salt, oil, and the contents of the Nunzie’s seasoning packet.
- Attach the lid and cook for 60 minutes at high pressure. Be sure to follow your pressure cooker’s safety instructions.
- Release the steam if your pressure cooker has this feature, or wait for pressure to equalize. Then remove the lid.
- If the beans aren’t fully cooked, stir them thoroughly and cook again at high pressure for 15 more minutes.
- Optionally, simmer until desired consistency is reached.
- Stir in the lemon juice or vinegar.
Makes about 8 cups
Remove the bay leaf, and serve 1 cup of cooked beans over ½ cup cooked rice.
Cooking the Rice
Not sure how much rice to make? Try our rice calculator.
Sign Up for Emails
Subscribe to receive infrequent updates about Nunzie’s and occasional discount codes for buying Nunzie’s online.